Step 4: How-To Choose a Training Program.
Now that you know where you are going to train, you have to actually start training. To do that, you need a plan. You can go to the gym and just do whatever, but you will get “whatever” results. Having a training plan and adhering to it will yield the best results.
How Many Weeks Do You Have to Train Before the Competition?
- Some programs are categorized by how long they run. Jonnie Candito has a 6-week program.
- Other programs like the EliteFTS Conjugate Periodization for Novice Powerlifters can run 16-weeks.
- Most of these programs are tailored to prepare lifters for a Powerlifting meet. By the end of the program, you are prepared to compete.
How Many Days a Week Can You Train?
- Another way, and possibly the best way, to choose a Powerlifting program is by deciding how many days of the week you can commit to training.
- Some programs such as The Texas Method are three days a week. Westside Barbell has a four-day program.
- It is not recommended to train any more than three to four days a week. Your body needs time to rest in order to perform to its fullest potential and avoid injury.